canberrabirds

Campbell Park: Brown Treecreeper and breeding birds

Subject: Campbell Park: Brown Treecreeper and breeding birds
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:39:43 +1100

And today there was a male Chestnut Teal on the large dam near the car park at CP. I have seen this species here previously in spring-summer.
No sign of the Br Treecreeper though.

Cheers
Marnix

"Ruskies" <>

29/11/2005 08:33 PM

"Anthony Overs" <>, "chat line" <>
cc
Subject
Re: [canberrabirds] Campbell Park: Brown Treecreeper and breeding birds
  Classification

Hi! Anthony.

I have just returned from a flying visit to down town Queanbeyan. From there
I did manage to have a quick visit to Jerra and the sewage ponds. Didn't
have much success bird wise at Jerra but did manage to count at least 80 odd
rabbits. Either the poison they've laid hasn't taken effect yet or the
rabbits are thriving on it.
I must have followed in your steps Anthony that aftenoon at Campbell Park as
I also saw all these goodies that you mentioned including the Brown T.C.
which seemed to be inspecting the hollow tree branch almost immediatley
above the Woodswallow nest, it gave me the impression that it was a young
bird by something in its demeaner. All these goodies, plus Double Barred and
Diamond Firetail finches,were seen at the end of the 4 puddle section of the
path towards the horse stile. Not only but also from there I spotted a
sittella sitting on a nest which you can find by, if  looking towards the
airport from the last puddle, there are two large trees just to the left.On
the R.Hand tree and on the first R.Hand branch, there is a small dead branch
with a fork, where the nest is, that sticks up a metre or so just before the
main branch heads up vertically. I must say that this is the greenest I've
seen the park in yonks. I'm sorry I couldn't catch up with anyone but as I
said it was a flying visit.

Cheers
Bob Rusk

----- Original