canberrabirds

Barbara's Cuckoo depression

To: "Barbara Allan" <>
Subject: Barbara's Cuckoo depression
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:05:46 +1100
I'm just wondering.

By that do you (Barbara) mean that Paul's output includes observations that have not been presented to the Rarities Panel for endorsement (as well as those that have) and that this possibility (if it is what you mean) is depressing.

Or, and I suspect this is the point Barbara was making: Do you mean that Paul's output contains only observations that have been presented to the Rarities Panel for endorsement (and accepted) and that you suspect there are more potential ones out there that have been allegedly observed and talked about and not presented to the Rarities Panel and so are not on that list when they should be and are not because of administrative reasons.

In other words are there more potential records out there than what shows on Paul's outputs?

I suggest the species is SO distinctive and unmistakable that leads to two thoughts. If someone has seen it, it is so easy to describe that it can hardly be a difficult task to write it up. Also given that it is so, I wonder why it should need to be endorsed at all, surely having it on the record is enough.

Then again I have never seen them anywhere near Canberra, my closest is Ulladulla and Warrumbungles but that is just my luck so far.