canberrabirds

Congo - NSW South Coast

Subject: Congo - NSW South Coast
From: "Paul Mahoney" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:59:05 +1100
Marnix,

The added information makes me far more comfortable with an ID of Sanderling. The option that I had thought of was Red-necked Stint, but had discounted it due to the ruddy / dirty colour on the nape which I am sure you would have noticed.

I have regularly seen Turnstones on sand before - in fact, they are far easier to find on sand than in rocks where their cryptic colour makes them disappear. When on rocks, they are only readily spotted by seeing the movement (but they are generally a 'busy' bird when on rocks.

Paul