canberrabirds

South Coast (NSW) - Waders etc

Subject: South Coast (NSW) - Waders etc
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:06:10 +1100

Spent an enjoyable weekend (12-13 Nov) based in Bermagui. An early morning walk on Sunday around Bermagui Harbour and along Mooreheads Beach produced Swamp Harrier (1), Whistling Kite (2), Pacific Golden Plover (2), Eastern Curlew (2), Bar-tailed Godwit (60), Whimbrel (8), Red-capped Plover (3). Further south at Barragoot Beach there was a single Red-capped Plover and north at Brou Lake were 10 Bar-tailed Godwit..

The undeniable highlight was finding a single Grey-tailed Tattler by the 'hidden lake' called Nargal. At first I thought Common or Wood Sandpiper but the characteristic nervous bobbing head and separate tail bob up and down pointed to a Grey-tailed Tattler.

Saturday afternoon was spent at Wallaga Lake, a beautiful spot, where I recorded Hooded Plover (2), Pacific Golden Plover (1), White-fronted Chat (4), Eastern Curlew (1), Bar-tailed Godwit (4) and Red-capped Plover (6). At Mystery Bay there were 2 immature Pacific Gulls and 8 Bar-tailed Godwits at Boat Harbour Point within metres of people. Heard a Cicadabird in Bermagui State Forest as well as an Olive-backed Oriole. At Beares Beach (Bermagui) found a group of Variegated Fairy-wrens and on the way home beside North Broulee Beach we flushed a family of Southern Emu-wrens including a recently fledged juvenile!

On the way down we stopped in Monga National Park to see the flowering waratahs. It seemed to me they were coming to the end of the flowering season. Heard Pilotbirds by the Mongarlowe River.
Pied and Sooty Oystercatchers were found at most spots we visited. A dark morph Reef Egret kept us company at Mystery Bay and at Brou Beach. Outside Moruya on power lines were Little Corella (3) and Long-billed Corella (1). We also found an Echidna out on the open sand at Loader Beach.

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.