canberrabirds

blitz

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: blitz
From: "Michael and Janette" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:45:34 +1100
Hi Barbara,

will post my sheets tomorrow together with a map of Mt Ainslie showing the route I have taken (divided into 3 sections). The most exiting thing was that the rain on Sunday did trigger movement by tall forest birds, such as Golden Whistler, Satin Flycatcher and Rufous Fantail, some times all 3 species together in loose groups. Also a possible Cicada Bird. But it called only once briefly, so that I decided not to include it (in the past, at the same area, the species was more vocal).

Overall large tracts fairly devoid of small bird life.

Also went on Saturday afternoon to the Glossie roost at Mt Majura. The behaviour of Glossies post drought is very different to what we got used to during the drought. They are quite shy and wary at their current drinking/roosting spot, as a result I/we  (some times with Janette) watch only from a great distance.

Regards,
Michael