canberrabirds

boobook

To: <>
Subject: boobook
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:15:44 +1000
Hi Kathy,

Well of course strictly speaking the bird should be within the 100 metres. Often you don't actually know whether it was or wasn't. In a case like that, if it is potentially within the area, I would put it in. There is little doubt that over the history of the GBS in most cases, where a person has observed (seen or heard) the bird from in their area, eg, from in their own yard and it was some distance that may have been close to in or out of the 100 metre limit, then they would put it on their GBS chart. On the basis that that is surely what has happened in the past I believe we should continue with it. If we change the input method, that would lead to biases in the results. We collect data that otherwise we would not have. This contributes to the whole picture. It is especially useful to do that for birds occurring at low densities, such as owls.

The issue has never been delved into in print, apart from in my GBS Report. My GBS Report covers this issue on page 21 and this discussion even singles out the Boobook as of particular relevance to the problem (see the index). The GBS Report makes it clear that in using the data, one needs to be aware that there is some scaling in the results and one needs to be aware of possible skewing and biases. But just about all bird surveys have some problems like this. The Book "Birds of Canberra Gardens" of course misses this point totally. Let us see whether the mythical (promised "now" over two years ago in August 2003), COG review of the GBS, that should only have taken a few days to prepare, given that the full analysis job had already been done, has anything useful to contribute that isn't just a repeat or plagiarism of what is in the GBS Report. I doubt it.