canberrabirds

YF Honeyeaters; Satin Bowerbirds: Spotted Turtle Doves

To: <>, <>
Subject: YF Honeyeaters; Satin Bowerbirds: Spotted Turtle Doves
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:37:35 +1000
I had a similar experience yesterday in Holder.  Lots of YFHE coming and going in all directions, but many were attracted to our and the neighbours Silver Birches.  Situation repeated today in Forest & Deakin, again the attraction was mainly silver birches.

Also in Tennyson Cres Forest (last week) at least 3 green Satin Bowerbirds, and possibly one mature male.  Are they regularly recorded here?

Spotted Turtle dove(s) have become a regular feature in our Holder neighbourhood, and I strongly suspect they may be nesting in the crown of our Phoenix Canariensis Palm.  When I was growing up in Brisbane long, long ago we regarded these doves as "goodies" compared with sparrows, starlings etc which were common in the neighbourhood.  Yet they have been slammed as pests & vermin on this chat line.  Can somebody explain what the problem is?

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay

Tel:   0407 456 330