canberrabirds

Willow tree island

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Willow tree island
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:53:44 +1000
Re John Brannan's description of his evening stroll around the western shore of Lake Ginninderra, particularly the ibis on the little willow-covered island:

A few years ago, the government  removed lots of willows from local waterways. In the main, fair enough, because they seem to become an environmental nuisance (the willows I mean in this instance, rather than the government). Nonetheless, I held my breath hoping they didn't remove the willows from that tiny island in Lake Ginn. If ever they do, I hope (perhaps wistfully) they install alternative perching structures because, over the years, I've noticed the willows attract a good variety of water birds including, at times, Rufous Night Herons and Pied Cormorants.

In some areas of the US, dead trees (snags as the Americans call them) which have toppled, or need to be removed as a safety measure, and are known meccas for birds, are replaced with other dead trees probably set in concrete for stability. Sometimes, they are replaced with fibreglass "snags". Anyhow, the birds usually take to the synthetic snags. Better than no where to perch and preen, I suppose.

Anyhow, I (he-who-must-obey) have to go now because, on this mild, early September evening, Younger Brat has fired up the gas barbie on the verandah and has chucked a handful of snags thereon. Snags in the Aussie vernacular, that is.

John Layton.