canberrabirds

Ousel / Ouzel / Woosell

To: "Martin and Frances" <>, "chat line" <>
Subject: Ousel / Ouzel / Woosell
From: "Ruskies" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:12:48 +1000
Hi!

It would seem that the wheel has turned full cycle. When the Poms arrived (card carring or not) any bird that they saw that vaguely resembled one from the old dart, then of course it must be the same.
Now we've thrushes that could be quails, robins that may have may not red breasts and many other mis-nomers . Now it would seem we've got the Dinky Di's trying to return the favour . I have seen both species ( they are separate) with the plumage of the young Ouzel (Turdus Torqutus) easily distinguishable from the young Blackbird (Turdus Merula). The Ouzels would only be found in the quieter and more isolated places. Both the juv and the adult Ouzel could readily be identified when flying away by the pale flashes on the wings and I don't think that they would ever be seen dead in a town garden  survey .

Cheers
Bob Rusk
Ps   Shakespeare should never be taken as an authority on the taxonomy of birds. He dithered too much, to  quote -- To be or not to be? That is the question!. I rest my case.