canberrabirds

Harcourt Hill-Arrabri Ridge

Subject: Harcourt Hill-Arrabri Ridge
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:32:11 +1000
Today I walked the ridgeline running from the Barton Highway to the furtherst NW point of Canberra at Hunters Hill crossing Harcourt Hill, Arrabri Ridge and Ngunnawal Horse Paddocks on the way.

A lone Wedge-tailed Eagle soared high above Hall. But the highlight was a MFF including 3 Hooded Robins (1 adult male), 2 Scarlet Robins (3 pairs all up along the ridge), 4 Southern Whitefaces and Varied Sittellas in a patch of grazed stringybark littered with dead timber and rocks overlooking Nicholls. I think the Hooded Robins may have been pushed to the edge of their territory due to the noise of the Hall Markets. Hooded Robins have inhabited a territory near there along Halls Creek in previous years.

The Whitefaces are the first I have seen this winter in Canberra. I have recorded them once before in the Gungahlin area at Moncrieff Ridge.

Cheers
Marnix

Low rate ANZ MasterCard. Apply now! Must be over 18 years. ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email <>