canberrabirds

Black Falcon - Oakey Creek

Subject: Black Falcon - Oakey Creek
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:29:08 +1000
After Ian's report of an Emu at Pierces Creek I decided to head out to find it today.
I didnt end up seeing an Emu but my day turned into an epic exploration of a large chunk of Pierces Creek Forest from Vanitys Crossing to Oakey Creek to Laurel Camp to Hurdle Creek instead.

The highlight was a Black Falcon perched in a dead pine on a 'bleached outcrop' hill by Oakey Ck Rd overlooking Tanners Flat below. I had earlier seen a pair of Brown Falcons and a Kestrel nearby, and 3 Wedge-tailed Eagles were constant companions all day.

At least two Superb Lyrebirds were calling from every wet gully including Oakey Ck, Hurdle Ck and the Cotter Valley in Namadgi. Pairs of Yellow Robins were active at Hurdle Ck and another gully to the north just within Tidbinbilla NR(?).

Some 20 Tree Martins were among the Welcome Swallows hawking over the wasteland and both Flame and Scarlet Robins were seen at several locations.

All up some 30 species in an area ravaged by the bushfires over 2 years ago.

The grass trees seem to be doing well along Grass Tree Rd and East West Break and there were some nice tree ferns at Hurdle Ck below Elsies Falls.

Cheers
Marnix

Sell your car for $9 on carpoint.com.au ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email <>