canberrabirds

glossies

To: "Nothrop" <>, <>
Subject: glossies
From: "tom green" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:01:09 +1000
Hi Lindsay,

I have led 2 walks to Mt Majura and failed to sight a Glossy on either occasion.
However they are there and audible to even my defective ears sometimes.
Currently I think they are most likely to be found on the east side of Majura below the radar going toward the police training school.
I find them by listening for the crunching noise of the birds feeding. They only call if moving tree or if an intruder is in sight. Listen for short wailing calls somewhat more grating than YTBC. There are sometimes YTBC in the radiata pines below the Sheoaks but calls are longer and louder.
I thought your pictures wonderful and we would love a pic. of that quality of the young bird.
Feeding birds are very approachable.
I am busy this week but I will try to organise a visit to the area next week and invite chatline people along. But NO promises.

Tom