canberrabirds

Tinderry Range

Subject: Tinderry Range
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:21:42 +1000
With such beautiful winter weather today I headed out to the Tinderries.

Along the Burra-Michelago Rd I stopped for a MFF of 2 Hooded Robins, 20 Diamond Firetails, 2 Southern Whitefaces and Yellow-rumped Thornbills. A kilometre up the road I passed another flock containing at least 3 Diamond Firetails. I nearly hit a large male Wallaroo along theway.

A 2 hour hike along Round Flat Trail in Tinderry Nature Reserve produced 2 Bassian Thrushes, a family of 3 Red-browed Treecreepers (1 bird being harassed by a White-eared Honeyeater), plenty of calling Superb Lyrebirds (inc shrike-thrush, black-cockatoo, currawong, wattlebird, g butcherbird, c rosella and kookaburra calls), 2 Wonga Pigeons flushed from undergrowth by a patch of banksia, and also a Grey Butcherbird and Grey Shrike-thrushes in full song (both species also seen). A Wedge-tailed Eagle soared overhead. The most common honeyeater was easily the White-eared Honeyeater, the only other species present was the White-naped Honeyeater.

There were also plenty of robins about - Scarlet, Flame, Hooded and Eastern Yellow all seen.

Cheers
Marnix

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings www.realestate.com.au ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email <>