canberrabirds

Re water-skiers

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Re water-skiers
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:22:49 +1000
Butterfield wrote:

"Well done Marg Peachey.  Have a bouquet."
"Well done Graham Ranft for posting this.  Also have a bouquet."

And while you're all busily handing out bouquets and blowing kisses, read the following which I published in The Canberra Times back on June 17:

Consider lake wildlife

Once again water-skiers are making a bid to utilise Lake Burley Griffin, and this time they seem to have got the ear of the NCA.

While I'm reluctant to stifle anyone's chosen sport, I would urge the relevant authorities to vigorously investigate the impact skiers will have on the lake and surrounding areas.

A cogent consideration should be the impact on wildlife.

A number of creatures, including a variety of birds, water rats, snakes, tortoises, frogs, fish and crustaceans breed, feed and shelter in the lake's waters and littoral areas.

About a decade ago it was revealed, during discussions about the removal of willows, that  platypuses were present in East Basin.

With wetlands continually under siege from drought and development, our wild creatures need all the havens we can afford them, including those which may appear, at first glance to be inconsequential because they are deemed "artificial".
I recommend that the chat line's membership guidelines should include the caveat, "Autodidacts need not apply."

Bad bye.
John K. Layton.