canberrabirds

[UNCLASSIFIED] Peruvian possiibilities

Subject: [UNCLASSIFIED] Peruvian possiibilities
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:47:37 +1000

Well Butters, I must say I am pretty disappointed.

You can walk to the beach in Lima and would have seen more species than that. Although, it is true that West of the Andes birdlife is pretty sparse as most of the area is desert. Nevertheless only 3 hours (by slow bus) South of Lima is Pisco (which you could have done in a day) you would have got some great endemic bird ticks, and could have used the bird ID book 'Lonely Planet' which had most of the species in it. Books were very expensive and usually in Spanish. My notes from paracas

May 2003. After overnighting in Pisco we took a tour to Paracas national reserve and the Ballestas islands. Going to ballestas on a speed boat took 1/2 hr. we saw sealions, which had babies and at times frolicked around the boat, grey - peruvian boobies (which have a white collar but are grey), blue footed boobies- only 2, inca terns (black with red legs and beaks), turkey vultures (which eat baby birds), peru red legged cormorant (black with red legs), guanay cormorant, and black cormorant. Peru pelicans which are grey and 2/3 the size of ours, and 2 humbolt penguins, band tailed gull and kelp gulls and grey gulls.

The red legged cormorant is endangered because fishermen shelter in the ballestas island caves (ballestas means arches, ie cave arches) and the cormorant also lives in the caves and the fisherman eat them. On the island is also a guano factory.

Later, after lunch we passed to paracas reserve and saw about 200 chilean famingos, which have bright red wings, and ran into our swedish and netherlands buddies from Lima. The flamingos migrate inland to mountain lakes but because of el nino had stayed longer.  The boobies were diving into the ocean for fish and the pelicans were herding, it was pretty cool.

Alternatively Martin, you could have flown to Cusco (about 3 hours) and then to Manu National Park (about 1 hour) in the amazon and seen about 800 species (although I only saw about 100). The guides had bird books.

You really should have stayed for the weekend.

Benj