canberrabirds

Unusual Macropod & Cullarin Range

Subject: Unusual Macropod & Cullarin Range
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 12:17:55 +1000

During my last 2 visits to Lake Ginninderra Peninsula I flushed a pair of medium-size macropods from long grass on the central ridge running north-south.
Both macropods were grey in colour but with reddish tails. The face, from what I could see, seemed more wallaroo or red-necked wallaby-esque.
If anyone else is out that way please take a look and try to identify them.

A trip to the Cullarin Range yesterday did not produce much out of the ordinary in the damp cool gullies except a recently dead Agile(?) Antechinus (no sign of external injury) and Brown-headed Honeyeaters.

Back to birds, and the past week or so has seen a rise in the number of raptors in the region (for me at least). Peregrine Falcons at the Mint and Sutton, Brown Falcons aplenty around Gunning/Gundaroo, both Little and Wedge-tailed Eagle between L George and Gunning, both Kestrels and Kites around Gungahlin and further to the north, and a Sparrowhawk at Bellenden Street.

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.