canberrabirds

Woodlands for Wildlife Seminar Sat 4 June

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Woodlands for Wildlife Seminar Sat 4 June
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:36:46 +1000
Canberra birders:  Dont forget to register for the free COG seminar.  So far we have only a handful of COG members who have registered.  It is an important event for COG to publicise our woodland birds project and woodland birds conservation, and we need your support.  We do need to know numbers for catering, so help us and dont leave it to the last minute.  We will be providing afternoon tea and expect to have mudcake!!!
The Program details are below and will soon be on the COG website.  You can register on email:   More details on the COG website www.canberrabirds.org.au

Woodlands for Wildlife: recovery for our birds

Saturday 4 June 2005  1.30 to 4.30pm

Arrival and registration from 1pm #

CSIRO Discovery Centre, Black Mountain, ACT

Seminar Chairperson: Dr Richard Schodde

Large-scale studies and natural experiments on woodland bird responses - new insights into farm and conservation management practices

Prof David Lindenmayer, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, ANU

Trends from a decade of bird surveys in the ACT - what have we learned?

A progress report from the COG Woodland Bird Monitoring Project

Ms Alison Rowell, Biologist and Environmental Consultant

Statistical analysis by Ross Cunningham, Consultant Statistician & Associate Professor ANU

Reversing the Decline of the Cowra Woodland Birds - the Cowra Woodland Birds Program

Dr Jack Baker, Manager of Biodiversity Conservation Science, NSW Dept. of Environment & Conservation & Councillor of Birds Australia

Intermission - Afternoon Tea (approx 2.45pm)

Bringing Breeding Birds Back - a study of birds breeding in re-vegetation sites

Ms Nicki Taws, Ecologist & Ms Suzi Bond, ANU Honours Graduate

Rebirding the Holbrook Landscape - Birds as indicators of ecosystem health & biodiversity

Dr Geoff Barrett, Ecologist, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems

Panel Questions & Discussion - Chairperson: Dr Rosemary Purdie, ACT Commissioner for the Environment

Hosted by Canberra Ornithologists Group (COG), in collaboration with the Wildlife Research and Monitoring Unit of Environment ACT, & the CRES/ANU

# Prior booking recommended to reserve a seat.   Email:

Seats may be available on the day