canberrabirds

Dead trees and YTBCs

To: <>
Subject: Dead trees and YTBCs
From: "Phyl Goddard" <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:04:15 +1000

I have for the first time seen YTBCs from my townhouse in Weetangera.  Three birds (one a dependent young) have twice visited the almost-dead E. nicholii just outside my fence, tearing off bark from the smaller branches, so we can assume they were looking for borers and that that was the cause of the tree’s demise. (It’s not likely to be the drought).  So the birds must ‘know’ that borers kill trees and come down to investigate, because I haven’t previously even heard their calls in the 20 years I’ve lived here.  The young bird was making quite a din and was fed once while in the tree.

Phyl Goddard