canberrabirds

Lerps

To: <>
Subject: Lerps
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:11:10 +1000
As many eucs around Canberra at the moment have many lerps, I was wondering about the extent to which that phenomenon might be affecting the occurrence of birds here, the matter of lerps having been mentioned already in the same breath as, for example, Regent Honeyeaters, Swift Parrots and Superb Parrots. A little lerp-Googling has produced the following information:

(1) Those who raise the quibble that the 'lerp' is the waxy scale and not the sap-eating insect (a 'psyllid') are correct. Moreover, only some psyllids create lerps.

(2) The term 'lerp' comes from an aboriginal word, and the same term, confusingly and presumably with a different derivation, also has something to do with computers, suggesting a byway into which I think we should all agree not to stray.

(3) Lerps are formed from the honeydew produced by the nymph stage of the psyllid. They vary in size and shape according to the species. The life-cycle could take 1-2 months; a nymph usually makes only one lerp but could make more than one if it moves to a new site.

(5) There are different theories about lerp outbreaks. One is that drought stress creates better conditions for psyllid breeding. Another is that the absence of natural controls is a contributor.

(6) Psyllids rarely cause death of trees, but might contribute to dieback or death in some conditions.

(7) The 'yellowbox lerp' (the CSIRO uses 'lerp' for the insect, so there you go, as Mark Latham was fond of saying) is Lasiopsylla rotundipennis, which feeds on a 'wide range of eucalypts'. Other species (as well?) like Blakely's Red Gum.

(8) Damon Oliver has written a research paper on the importance of lerps in the diet of Regent Honeyeaters - in the Armidale area.

(9) Of particular note: like Canberra, California is experiencing a severe lerp psyllid infestation, on its 'red gum eucalyptus trees' in particular. Apparently the honeydew is not merely forming lerps but 'drops to the ground on cars and sidewalks'. (It appears that the LP in question, Glycaspis brimblecombei, 'excretes much honeydew'.) A control program is in effect, which includes 'introducing parasitoid natural enemies'. 'Parasitoids', a curious word, refers to the enemies, not the psyllids. (The parasitoids, to get our Australian psyllids off our Australian gum trees, are being produced in 'insectaries' of, respectively, the University of California and the California Department of Food and Agriculture, the Department of Homeland Security not being engaged as yet.) It may be of interest that several bird species, including the chestnut-backed chickadee and the bushtit, have been observed feeding on infested trees. Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots are not mentioned in this connection, or at all. One can only hope that, if a new-generation parasitoid natural enemy finds its way to Australia, the means will be available to develop a - what would one call it? - a counter-parasitoid (etc) to safeguard the more ecologically-relevant psyllids here.

(10) Lerp pictures are available, but their inclusion has been resisted (by me).

               Geoffrey Dabb
email    :
ph/fax   :   02 6295 3449