canberrabirds

Tallaganda NP & Honeyeater Migration

Subject: Tallaganda NP & Honeyeater Migration
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:54:31 +1000

I spent the greater part of Sunday (9.30am-7.30pm) exploring Tallaganda National Park. I drove along the spine of the range from North to South, starting at Forbes Creek. During the day I also kept an ear and eye out for migrating honeyeaters.

I drove part or all of North Black Range Fire Trail (FT), Mulloon FT, Bald Hill FT, Lewis Camp FT, Coxs Creek Rd, Tower Forest Rd (FR), Parallel FR, Sawpit Gully FT, Harolds Cross Rd, Rocky Pic Rd, Cowangerong FT, Bald Peak FT, and South Forest Wy. I stayed after dusk in the hope of hearing a Powerful Owl, but no luck.

Highlights were:

# A Cicadabird calling at Lewis Camp FT.
# Many Superb Lyrebirds in full song.
# Lewin's Honeyeaters calling at Coxs Creek Rd & Parkers Gap (I seem to encounter this species on most trips to Tallaganda).
# A male Flame Robin near Coxs Creek Rd.
# Over 18 Gang-gang Cockatoos feeding on the summits of Mt Cowangerong and Mt Tumatbulla.
# A very vocal Brush Cuckoo along South Forest Wy.
# A Crescent Honeyeater along South Forest Wy.
# Grey Currawongs at Bald Hill FT.

Strangely no sign of Olive Whistlers this time. However, along Rocky Pic Rd many shrubs had black berries which was attracting large numbers of Currawong and Crimson Rosella. Easily over 100 Pied Currawongs along one short stretch of road.

Now to the honeyeaters. It was a cool sunny day with no wind. I encountered Yellow-faced Honeyeater (YFHE) and White-naped Honeyeater (WNHE) as soon as I reached the Forbes Ck area of Tallaganda. There were also White-eared Honeyeater (WEHE) present, and Eastern Spinebill (ES) in the flowering banksia.
Again at a creek crossing marking the boundary between Tallaganda NP and Tallaganda State Conservation Area YFHE and WNHE were present. In fact at most sites I stopped they were there.
It wasnt until Rocky Pic Rd nr the summit that greater numbers were seen. 30+ YFHE flying over the ridge heading east or northeast in 2 minutes. Some 6+ WNHE also. I saw or heard ES at many sites during the day too. At a pond nr Coxs Creek Rd flocks of YFHE and WNHE came to drink/bathe. Some 20-30 birds in 5 minutes. I did hear YFHE at the summit of Mt Cowangerong as well.

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.