canberrabirds

Mystery bird

To: <>
Subject: Mystery bird
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:12:26 +1000
Hi all
I have had a mystery bird in my garden on and off for weeks, maybe months (it could be a resident - I'm not sure because huge trees make any comprehensive scanning difficult/impossible without time & binoculas). It's probably no mystery for you, but does not seem to fit descriptions I have. (I'm not a great observer - I see but do not observe . . )

SIZE BEHAVIOUR FORM ETC maybe 15-18 cm. It has treecreeper characheristics, but not the right colouring and does not go vertically up trunks, but sometimes seems to move similarly up 45 degree branches for short distances. Size and general form/shape seem similar, though it could be slightly larger and more rounded than our common white throated treecreepers (and shorter bill(?). I have not seen it feeding, but it's spent time moving around in E Nicholii branches, otherwise just briefly in other shrubs/trees. I have not seen it on the ground - only at least 2 metres up. COLOUR: back, head and throat an even mid grey (similar grey to grey fantails) but with darker bar through eye. Tail and wings similar, except a couple of definite white/pale buff streaks. From the throat it grades to very pale buff/white under the tail. Looks a bit like pictures of female hooded robin. But white streak closer to bottom/front edge of wing, and I caught a glimpse of two of them together once, and they looked the same (they were in fairly dense foliage and I could not see clearly). CALL: nothing that I can be sure of, but did hear a call like a wooden ratchet slowing down over 4 notes shortly before I saw it this morning (out of a window).

Will update if I see it again and can better 'observe' (any advice gratefully received)

By the way, my pardalotes are still interacting with the reflections in my office windows from the rangy hakea just outside. In this warm weather I have opened a casement window, and both the female and the male have often perched where they can see two reflections and interact with both in turn (keeps them busy). They have also investigated around the frame of the open window, usually flying off after finding no apparent pardalote behind. Female generally still more agitated and active than the male, though he calls more. Currently have 5 king parrots enjoying the hakea. One has just clung to the timber window frame and appears to be interacting with reflection, curiously and gently pecking at the glass.

cheers
Barbara Preston
__________________________________
Barbara Preston Research
ABN: 18 142 854 599
21 Boobialla Street
O'Connor  ACT  2602
AUSTRALIA
Phone: 02 6247 8919
Fax: 02 6247 8779
Mob: 0439 47 8919
Email:
Executive member, Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE).
AARE welcomes as members education researchers, research students and supporters of education research. The 2005 AARE Annual Conference will be held in Sydney, 27 November to 2 December.
For membership or conference information go to the website: www.aare.edu.au.
AARE Office: phone 03 5964 9031, email