canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Do birds have ...

To: <>
Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Do birds have ...
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:39:53 +1000
Now that, Suzanne, is a really interesting question. The Adelaide Rosella is of course of the other (blue-cheeked) variety, similar to a Crimson Rosella. According to Cozzolino & Rutherford's 'Symbols of Australia' the trademark was used 'as early as' 1897 on letterheads. The NAME 'Rosella' had been adopted in 1894 by persons called McCracken and Press who marketed jams and preserved fruits, although whether they were based in SA I cannot say. They went into liquidation in 1895 and the acquiring business became the Rosella Preserving Co Ltd. The earliest illustration I have is dated 1899 and is black and white but appears to show a white-cheeked (Eastern) Rosella and a 1905 emblem is certainly an Eastern Rosella, which would not be surprising as the RPC was a Melbourne firm. So what we need to know is whether McCracken and Press were South Australian merchants and whether they ever used a rosella illustration in connection with their products: they did not have it as a trademark because this was not registered until 1899. Although the backmost recesses of my grocery cupboard contain some fairly ancient items, I am reasonably sure that none of it would be more than 100 years old.