canberrabirds

Trip Report - Narooma - 2-3 April (longish)

Subject: Trip Report - Narooma - 2-3 April (longish)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:48:54 +1000

Over the weekend Lisa and I used Narooma as our base to explore the coastline between Tuross Head in the north and Bermagui in the south.
On the Saturday we drove/walked to the following places:

# Mummuga Lake Walk at Bodalla Forest Park
# Box Cutting Rainforest Walk near Kianga
# Potato, Jemisons and Blackfellows Points
# Brou Lake and Beach
# Wagonga Inlet and Narooma

On the Sunday we went to:

# Nangudga Lake and Handkerchief Beach
# Corunna Lake
# Barunga Point and Bogola Head
# Mystery Bay and 1080 Beach
# Lake Tilba
# Little Lake and Loader Beach
# Wallaga Lake and Wallaga Beach
# Bermagui Coast Walk to Murunna Point and Camel Rock

This made for a lot of driving and walking, but we still had time to relax on the beach and go for a swim.
I wont bore you with endless bird lists but just note the highlights:

Azure Kingfisher - 1 at Mummuga Lake Walk
Hooded Plover - 1 at Lake Tilba
Fork-tailed Swift - 24 at Lake Tilba (however no Needletails all weekend)
Red-capped Plover - 48 at Wallaga Lake and 26 at Lake Tilba
Double-banded Plover - 18 at Wallaga Lake (nearly 17 after a fisherman's dog decided to try to catch one...there should be warning signs up all year here)
Bar-tailed Godwit - 43 at Wallaga Lake and 130 at Wagonga Inlet
Pacific Heron - 1 at Coopers Island
Sooty Oystercatcher - 4 at Wagonga Inlet, 1 at 1080 Beach and 1 at Barunga Point

Again Cattle, Little and Great Egrets were in abundance as well as Royal Spoonbill and White Ibis. Pied Oystercatchers were seen at most places too and Eastern Reef Egret and Caspian Terns were at a few places.
While walking around Wagonga Inlet on Saturday evening at dusk I counted over 100 Musk Lorikeets flying over the inlet in a northerly direction in loose small groups. The next morning there must still have been a 100 Musk and Little Lorikeets in the spotted gums on the southern side of the inlet.
We saw most wet forest birds such as Wonga Pigeon, Brown Gerygone and Large-billed Scrubwren, as well as Rufous Fantail and Lewin's Honeyeaters. As is to be expected when visiting so many places we saw 10 Sea-Eagles at 7 separate sites but the best views were had along the Mill Bay Boardwalk where they sit quietly every morning surveying the inlet.. We also passed 7 Bell Miner colonies in our travels.

Non-avian highlights:
Dusky Antechinus - 1 at 1080 Beach
Echidna - 1 at Bogola Head
Smooth(?) Stingray - 1 in Wagonga Inlet below the Mill Bay Boardwalk

Cheers
Marnix

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.