canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration

To: <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: <>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:34:46 +1000

Just stepped out the front door of the ANWC building here at work as 20 – 30 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters flew over heading approx. northeast. This is my first sighting for the year of the migration. There appeared to be no movement (that was obvious anyway) along the Snowy Mountains Highway from Tumut to Cooma and back down the Monaro Highway from Cooma last Sunday but I didn’t stop all that much. I was surprised by the (relatively) large numbers of Wedge-tailed Eagles I saw – about 15 pairs or individuals, and the appalling amount of Blackberry growing in the pine plantations on the way to Tumut (after Piccadilly Circus). So much for Kate Carnell’s theories that our commercial forests are well managed. NPWS also need to lift its game in Kozzy NP with regards to weed control.

Mark