canberrabirds

Farrer ridge

Subject: Farrer ridge
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:36:51 +1100

I went to Farrer ridge yesterday. I haven't been there before.

It was very windy but saw a corella, king parrots, 4 Yellow tailed blacks, black shouldered kite (80% sure, sillouette)Noisy friarbirds and red wattlebirds, and other small birds- fantails, weebills, thornbills, fairy wrens.

On the Far East near the main road is a lot of red anthered wallaby grass (Joycea) and heaps of mattrush (Lomandra filiformis- I think), perhaps painted button quail habitat. Patches of silver wattle and another wattle.

East of the Trig point isn't very native but quite a lot of New Holland daisies, some still in flower (mainly V cuneata), and everlasting daisies flowering Chrysocephalum apic and semipaposum and interestingly quite a few red box, (E polyanthemos).

On the West side of the Trig point it was very native. Probably because of the 2003 fires which had scorched the earth, and only native plants could grow in rock. I have never seen so many indigo plants (Indigofera australis) and Nodding blue lilies (Stypandra glauca), it is going to be spectacular blue/purple flower display next October. Also cauliflower bushes (Cassinia) and Lomandra and some false sarsparilla (Hardenbergia violacea). Up the top were also a lot of Mealy Bundies (Eucs) which seem rare in Canberra, Northside.

Along the Suburbs I think are a lot of E Viminalis planted. In the West some parts have been burnt and recovery is pretty good with plant species stated above, plus grassland species

Benj

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF