canberrabirds

More from our Sunday travels

To: <>
Subject: More from our Sunday travels
From: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:29:55 +1100

Apart from the Black Falcon and the Common Sandpiper, Pete and I saw lots of other birds on Sunday. Beautiful conditions for birding.

Uriarra homestead dam.
Lots of Hoary-headed and Australasian Grebes. A few Hardheads. No Musk Duck though. In the pines on the roadside we saw three Restless Flycatchers, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, White-plumed Honeyeater and plenty of Yellow-rumped Thornbills. Also six Common Mynas (boo hiss).

Warks Rd.
Stopped in a gully where regrowth provided excellent cover for White-browed Scrubwrens and Brown Thornbills. A party of Striated Thornbills moved through. A single White-eared Honeyeater. Plenty of Spotted Pardalotes and Grey Fantails.

Blundells Creek Rd.
Stopped halfway up the road. Again, lots of Spotted Pardalotes calling, with a few foraging down very low. Flame Robins, Silvereyes and Grey Fantails common. A few of each of Yellow-faced, White-naped and White-eared Honeyeater. A Rufous Whistler called. Heard and saw Golden Whistler. One White-throated Treecreeper. We saw four female Satin Flycatchers at one stage, with others calling around us. Heard an Australian Owlet-nightjar call from its hollow nearby.

Mt Franklin Rd.
Stopped one or two kms south of Piccadilly Circus. Lots of Flame Robins. Both Pardalotes. A Brown-headed Honeyeater. Juv Fan-tailed Cuckoo. Golden Whistler, Gang-gang Cockatoo.

Forestry trail between Mt Franklin Rd and Blundells Creek Rd.
Stopped about halfway down the mountainside. Rufous Whistler. More Satin Flycatchers calling nearby. Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters. Singles of White-browed Scrubwren, Grey Shrike-thrush and White-throated Treecreeper.

Data sheets on way.

Cheers
Anthony