canberrabirds

Migrants

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Migrants
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:48:16 +1100
Those who subscribe to birding-aus will be aware of the recent postings
about migration of koels and channel-billed cuckoos - expanded to include
dollarbirds by some listers.  My memory from the past is that the COG
hotline used to request folk to report in the last date of hearing noisy
friarbirds.  In Bill Oddie's books he makes much of the easy road to fame by
getting your initials in the annual reports as being the last to report
species x or y.  The following is a list of common(ish)species listed as
migrants to the COG area - perhaps people would like to make an effort to
record their last sightings of these species?

I have excluded Dusky Woodswallow, Olive-backed Oriole and Black-faced
Cuckoo-shrike.  Although these are shown as migrants the period of absence
in the Annual Bird Report seems to be getting shorter and some are probably
over-wintering most years.

Looking at GBS records for the last 3 years suggests that the following
species are still available for bagging a 'last record for the year':

Leaden flycatcher: recorded up to week 12 (beginning 19 March)
Noisy Friarbird:  relatively frequently recorded up to week 17 (beginning 23
April, so plenty of time yet)
White-throated gerygone: recorded up to week 14 (beginning 2 April)
Dollarbird: This week (9, beginning 26 February) is usually the latest, so
anything next week has a good "shot at the pot".
Sacred kingfisher: recorded up to next week (10, beginning 5 March).  To be
on the safe side, I have compiled an incidental record for the one I saw at
Urriara Crossing on Monday.

What are the prizes for this? Simple: put in a record that gets on to an
official COG database - ie Incidental or General record, GBS entry, or
Woodland Survey form - and stand a chance of getting YOUR name in next years
ABR!  Of course also, repeat also, reporting it to this list may generate
some interest.

Martin