canberrabirds

Wedgies

Subject: Wedgies
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:25:09 +1100

I saw 2 wedgies soaring between Surveyor Hill and Dunlop Pond on Saturday morning. I couldnt work out whether they were adults or immature birds as they were too far away.

Cheers
Marnix

"martin butterfield" <>

28/02/2005 04:18 PM

<>
cc
Subject
[canberrabirds] Wedgies (and other things)
  Classification

About  a week ago we saw 1 wedgetail soaring over Glenloch homestead, but didn't  get a good look at it.  Today, coming back from the Cotter we saw three  birds over the Western end of Bibaringa which is not that far from Coppins or  Glenloch if you are an eagle.  I didn't get a good look at the third, but  the two of which I did have very good views had a good lot of lighter brown both  on the head and the underwings.  They were also very vocal.  It would  seem that there might have been two successful nests just to the West of the  City.

We  were out that way because Frances and I had decided we needed an escape for a  few hours and headed to Works Road, via Urriara Crossing and the eponymous  Homestead dam.

We  went that way to check up on the Common Sandpiper.  It had obviously heard  we were coming and decided to be elsewhere as it was not present.  Getting  to the large dam at the Homestead there were at least 2 musk ducks visible  (which was why we stopped there.).

Going  down Blundell's Creek Rd was very quiet.  However as we started to walk up  Warks Rd from the intersection things livened up considerably.  It was  rather difficult to fit our feet between the flame robins - mainly brown birds  but several lurid males as well.  My estimate was at least 12 birds.   Many yellow faced and white-naped honeyeaters grazing in the foliage with dy of  the latter.  (1 white eared honeyeater on the way back.).  Hordes of  grey fantails (inc dy) and 1 rufous fantail.  Rufous and golden  whistlers.  On the way back one green satin bowerbird emerged from the  epicormic growth of a eucalypt and it sounded as though others might have been  lurking inside the growth.

Martin

[martin butterfield]