canberrabirds

Hobby nest in Kambah again and other old news.

To: <>
Subject: Hobby nest in Kambah again and other old news.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:33:39 -0800
Hi All,
Sorry I have not contributed much lately. I suffered a computer calamity which meant I couldn't log on for 3 weeks, this necessitated a reformat of my C drive and loss of most of what I had, then followed by the need to reinstall things. This was really annoying, especially as I was home for a week, whilst recovering from the unpleasantry of having being opened up and sewn back together in Canberra Hospital on 1 February.

On 30 January, at the ANBG whilst listening to the band at the summer concert series and watching the copulating White-faced Herons in the tree above a few hundred people, Jonette McDonell told me of the pair Buff-banded Rails she had seen at the pond next to O'Connor shops over the past several weeks. I promised to post a message to COG list but haven't been able to till now. So apologies to her for the delay on this. I see there have been a few mentions of this since.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I think the Hobbies have nested in Kambah again, most likely in the first tree next to the traffic lights in the median strip of Tuggeranong Parkway, beside Kambah shops and the Caltex station. They have been in the area over the last several weeks at least. I have seen four together, behaving as is usual for a pair with recently fledged young. I haven't really been able to have a close look at them, as I haven't been able to walk much for a month.