canberrabirds

Grey Butcherbirds in gardens??

To: <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbirds in gardens??
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:28:40 +1100
Benj

There are 103 GBS records (ie sites reporting in a year)  from the 23 years
of the Survey.  Some years only 1 site reports other years quite a few (I
haven't done the year by year counts yet).  Eyeballing the data the last two
years have the largest number of observations - which I guess is a result of
the birds being driven out of their normal habitat by the fires.

I don't know if they were common in Bruce Ridge but I did see them there in
late 2003.  They are almost certainly going to be rarer there  in the
future - unless they like road kill and are able to dodge the drivers of
Gunghalin!   Gossan Hill is just across the road and has a very similar
habitat (without the enhancement of a freeway) and I have recorded them on a
few occasions since 1987 - not always in my GBS site.

There was a recent message that the birds are often recorded in Weston Park
and a nearby monarchist establishment, which has certainly been my
experience over the past 18 months.

Martin