canberrabirds

Kellys

To: <>
Subject: Kellys
From: "Allan and Hazel Wright" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:13:39 +1100
Sorry I haven't logged on since the week-end so have missed the debate about
the sandpipers.

It really takes a brave heart to report a non-breeding wader when only 2 of
us saw it.  Seems a 'verifying' person is handy to have around to give the
report credence.

But let me say this bird had a pronounced eyebrow, same as Sharpie, but it
did have a dark cap and definitely not chestnut.  The legs were yellowish
and it had a definite line between the dark (upper) and light (lower) parts
of its chest;  I would call this a breast plate.

Unlike Martin, we did not proceed to the far side of the pond and saw the
bird from the Cygnus hide and from the mown grassy area further along
towards the school.

I must say it took some time for us, taking turns using the scope, to scan
along the shoreline to find the bird as it was very glary at that time of
day.  Enough of that now.

We went back out there on Sunday on our way to the concert at the Botanic
Gardens.  The thought of seeing a BB Rail is quite a magnet but alas, no
rails running around as they were on Lady Elliott Island some few years ago.
Don't they realise there are a lot of people just waiting to put another
tick on their ACT Bird List.

The weather was cooler and the light so much better but no waders.  There
were the 4 BF dotterels - 2 adult, 2 imm. at least one Snipe, plenty of
waterfowl and a Little Grassbird calling but not seen as it was somewhere in
the grass on the 'far side'.

What I would like to know is "why are the waders always on the far side"
Makes them very hard to ID.

Allan and Hazel Wright
Canberra ACT

The Nation's Capital