canberrabirds

Campbell Park February 8

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Campbell Park February 8
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:09:13 +1100
Hi all

Visited Campbell Park yesterday, the first time in many moons. Highlights were three fledgling White-throated Gerygones being fed by parent birds, a male Common Bronzewing oom-ooming twelve to the dozen, a Willie Wagtail in furious pursuit of a male White-winged Triller, and a whole mint of Dollar Birds; in all, 25 species over one hour.

Also, at least a dozen sheep, I guess from "Grubby Waterhole Farm". Surely the lessee could make that short distance of fencing sheep proof. Saw a few relatively young Kurrajong trees but, if the sheep continue to graze there, they'll soon clean up any Kurrajong seedlings as well as Blue Devil seedlings.

Visiting Younger Brat declared the Blue Devil to be an exotic weed because "it doesn't look like an Australian native". I dunno, I thought she'd grown out of jumping to such conclusions. I recall boxing her ears (figuratively speaking, of course) for assuming that local ravens were imported along with foxes and rabbits. Back home, YB consulted a book about wildflowers in the Bush Capital, co-authored by some botanically erudite bloke called Fraser, and conceded Daddyo was right. Ho Hum, situation normal.

Bye

John Layton.