canberrabirds

Australian Wood Duck vs Maned Duck

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Australian Wood Duck vs Maned Duck
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:03:16 +1100
Hi all

Peter Fullagar wrote, "It is a Maned Duck duckling".

HANZAB (1990), uses the nomenclature Maned Duck. Christidis and Boles (1994) includes it as Australian Wood Duck (previously Maned Duck) in a list of English names changed because they appeared to be unpopular - the result of some survey or other.

So, has the English name of this species been changed again, and is Chistidis & Boles no longer the standard reference for the English names of Australian birds? I assumed it was. If not, what is? Or is there more than one "standard reference" at large, so it's a matter of 'take your pick'?

Say, this line of questioning could get someone confused. Namely (pun) me.

Bye

John K. Layton