canberrabirds

Monga - Bingie (Wed 22 Dec)

Subject: Monga - Bingie (Wed 22 Dec)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:15:37 +1100

I took the day off work yesterday to do some birding and relax down the coast. First stop Monga National Park.

Highlights in Monga (22 species) were:

# Whipbirds at Dasyurus Picnic Area.
# Red-browed Treecreeper, Rose Robin, Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Yellow Robin and many Rufous Fantails at Mongarlowe River Picnic Area & Nature Walk.
# Superb Lyrebird in full song at Penance Grove Rainforest Boardwalk.

Then to spend the afternoon relaxing on the beach at Bingie Point in Eurobodalla National Park.

Highlights at Bingie (34 species) were:

# A total of 12 Dollarbirds spaced out along powerlines every 50m or so.
# 2 Sea-eagles soaring low over our heads on the beach.
# 30+ White-throated Needletails overhead for most of the afternoon.
# 100's of Shearwaters, Gannets, Terns and Gulls just off the point, close enought o give clear views through he binos.
# Lewin's Honeyeater, Black-faced Monarch, Red-browed Finch and Brown Gerygone in dense bush just behind beach dunes.

And I disturbed a strange creature in dune scrub on Bingie Beach - it was about the size of a small rabbit, with grey fur and short round ears. I didnt norice any tail, but it scurried (didnt hop) and disappeared under some bushes possibly into a sandy burrow(?) as I couldnt find it again.  I thought it could be a Bush Rat, Long-nosed Bandicoot or Dunnart. Dont know really? Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe it was a baby Bunyip...

On the drive home, saw 2 White-headed Pigeons on powerlines by Barlings Beach.

Cheers

Marnix