canberrabirds

Little Friar Bird at Hall

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Little Friar Bird at Hall
From: "Yarden Oren" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:51 +1100
The Friarbird still present this morning at the showground. It was feeding
this morning in a flowering eucalypt just next to the loos. Later on if flew
into some eucalypts next to the creek. Its voice was strong enough to
overcome the commotion made by the young begging Galah's.

When I wandered along the creek in search of it I saw a female sparrowhawk
in a tree above calling loudly and  attracting some mobbing from a whistler,
a fantail and a juvenile robin. Walking on, I was suddenly struck on the
head by the swooping sparrowhawk. I landed in a tree just in front of me and
swooped again. Luckily then came to my rescue two noisy friarbirds and a
butcherbirds mobbing it so hard it flew away. The hawk apparently had the
last laugh, as I saw it 10 minutes later soaring with a small bird in its
talons.

Yarden