canberrabirds

Do Galahs' make thier own nesting hollows?

To: <>
Subject: Do Galahs' make thier own nesting hollows?
From: "Roy Harvey" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:02:52 +1100

During the heavy wind on Saturday a large branch (30 cm diameter at its thickest) was blown from a Eucalyptus Blakelyi (?) in our front yard.

The break contained about 30% of dead wood (by area) where it had joined the tree. Several years ago Galahs had gnawed all the bark in a large patch where the branch had joined the tree. It appears that the absence of bark had allowed water to enter the joint of the tree and/or caused the timber to die. The branch was solid timber except for the dead wood at the junction with the tree (I cut the branch up and there were no large holes of any sort for a couple of meters from the join). There were a number of other galah gougings on the tree but none in joints.

Does any one know if the galah gouging is likely to have caused the weakening of the tree? Is it a common factor in causing gum branches to fall? We’ve had 2 large branches fall of in about 20 years.  The other had no similar damage.

Roy