canberrabirds

Do Galahs' make thier own nesting hollows?

To: "Roy Harvey" <>, <>
Subject: Do Galahs' make thier own nesting hollows?
From: "tom green" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:33:27 +1100
The Galahs on our corner of OConnor don't make their own nest hollow but they do gnaw away the bark around the entrance to the hollow. I have also seen them removing the bark around the base of dead branches presumably in the hope that they will become hollows at the tree decays.
One pair displaced the mynahs from a tree hollow on the corner of Lomandra St and then stripped away the suurounding bark over a period of about a month. This resulted in the tree being cut down!

For several years we had a "pet" Magpielark which we fed on mincemeat. She and sometimes her mate would carry large quantities to their nestlings. When the birds were newly hatched the mince was often dipped in water (puddle or potplant scaucer) before being taken up to the nest but not later when nestlings were larger. I don't think it was related to the weather

Tom