birding-aus

Fairywrens

Subject: Fairywrens
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 13:46:00 +1000
Hi all.

Here in Mulgoa Valley we have had an irruption of Superb Fairy Wrens over the
last few weeks, Almost all “brown birds”, one male in eclipse plumage, one in
full breeding garb.
I watched two  brown birds in what looked like mortal combat, the victim spread
eagled
 under the attacker who would not let go. Three other bbs flew to the rescue,
jumped on the attacker then all flew off.
They are very engaging little birds, popping in and out of our pot plant
collection, coming up to our feet if we sit still enough.
Almost overnight their numbers dropped from maybe thirty around the house for
over a week to five or six, including an eclipse make and two young dark tailed
males.  Where did they go?

        Best

           Michael

Sent from my iPhone