birding-aus

2020/21 Swift records

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: 2020/21 Swift records
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 06:34:52 +0000

Hi Mike (and Birding-Aus folks too),

Just wanted to let you know that Sally and I had a very nicely sized flock of Fork-tailed (Pacific) Swifts with at least 200+ birds which included at least 3 or 4 White-throated Needletails on Sunday 7/02/21 at approx. 8am.

It was very difficult to get a handle on total numbers of birds given that we were viewing from the road within rainforest, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was at least 1000 or 2000 birds all up – too hard to say, but an absolute minimum count would be 200…

We were on the Lake Morris Rd at about 300mtrs asl just west of Cairns…

Cheers,

Martin Cachard (& Sally Sheldon)

Cairns, FNQ

Phone: +61 428 782 808