birding-aus

Compact scopes

Subject: Compact scopes
From: Peter Diegutis <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:46:20 +1100
I can't speak to either scope as I'm a happy Swarovski customer. But I can
offer the following:
1. Zoom is good - mine is 20-60x though 20-40x is the most-used. Up to 30x
would be fine.
2. If your priority is light and compact then you need (in my experience) to
put as much thought into the tripod as the scope. The tripod will be by far the
least convenient item in your birding arsenal on public transport.
- Don't underestimate the need for sturdiness - you don't want the scope to
blow over (which can happen); and you want something that provides a steady
image when the wind is blowing.
- Sturdiness comes from mass - ie weight. Though you can do things like hang
your pack from the tripod to steady it.
- Not all lightweight tripods are the same - some are cheap; some are good (and
NOT cheap).
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>