birding-aus

Threatened Birds in Australia

To: Martin Butterfield <>, Phil Gregory <>
Subject: Threatened Birds in Australia
From: Jason Polak <>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:15:24 -0500
Dear Phil,

I think from reading the above messages, you already obtained your data.
However, I thought you might be interested anyway in data from the IUCN.
I wrote a Python program to categories all birds they listed using their
JSON API. Here are the results:

Category LC, 655 species. Not listed.

Category NT, 35 species:
Black Grasswren, Short-tailed Grasswren, Chestnut-breasted Whiteface,
Gurney's Eagle, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Jouanin's
Petrel, Red Knot, Curlew Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint, Buff-breasted
Sandpiper, Streaked Shearwater, Double-banded Plover, Letter-winged
Kite, Black-necked Stork, Red Goshawk, Beach Thick-knee, Fiordland
Penguin, Royal Penguin, Asian Dowitcher, Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-tailed
Godwit, Albert's Lyrebird, Blue-billed Duck, Flame Robin, Light-mantled
Albatross, Princess Parrot, Gray Petrel, Tahiti Petrel, Mottled Petrel,
White-fronted Tern, Buller's Albatross, White-capped Albatross,
Gray-tailed Tattler, Black-breasted Buttonquail

Category VU, 26 species:
Carpentarian Grasswren, White-throated Grasswren, Buller's Shearwater,
Pink-footed Shearwater, Royal Albatross, Wandering Albatross, Southern
Rockhopper Penguin, Macaroni Penguin, Snares Penguin, Gray Falcon,
Partridge Pigeon, Painted Honeyeater, Malleefowl, Red-lored Whistler,
White-chinned Petrel, Spectacled Petrel, Parkinson's Petrel,
White-necked Petrel, Cook's Petrel, Juan Fernandez Petrel, Gould's
Petrel, Providence Petrel, Australian Fairy Tern, Chatham Albatross,
Salvin's Albatross, Hooded Plover

Category EN, 21 species:
Noisy Scrub-bird, Rufous Scrub-bird, Australasian Bittern, Great Knot,
Eastern Bristlebird, Western Bristlebird, Erect-crested Penguin,
Black-eared Miner, Far Eastern Curlew, Abbott's Booby, Forty-spotted
Pardalote, Night Parrot, Sooty Albatross, Westland Petrel, Barau's
Petrel, Hutton's Shearwater, Australian Painted-Snipe, Mallee Emuwren,
Yellow-nosed Albatross, Gray-headed Albatross, Buff-breasted Buttonquail,
749

Category CR, 8 species:
Regent Honeyeater, Christmas Island Frigatebird, New Zealand
Storm-Petrel, Swift Parrot, Orange-bellied Parrot, Plains-wanderer,
Beck's Petrel, Newell's Shearwater

Category EX, 4 species:
Norfolk Starling, Lord Howe Gerygone, Lord Howe Swamphen, Robust White-eye

-Jason

On 2020-12-16 9:14 p.m., Martin Butterfield wrote:
> Phil: disregard my last message:
> see https://birdlife.org.au/conservation/science/taxonomy and down load
> the working list  which contains the conservation status.
>
> Martin Butterfield
> http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/
> https://mallacootaweatherwildlife.blogspot.com/
>

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 12:45, Phil Gregory <
> <>> wrote:
>
>     I am preparing a talk for the Colombian Bird Fair and urgently need
>     some data on the total of species in each conservation category,
>     which seems to be remarkably opaque on the BirdLife sites and
>     Threatened Bird Network sites. All I need know is how many in each
>     category
>     How many Critically Endangered CR?
>     How Many Near Threatened NT ?
>     How Many Vulnerable VU?
>
>     If there is a link to such information I’d love to access it. Can
>     anyone help please? Thanks
>
>     Phil Gregory
>      <>
>     ornithological writer/tour leader/tour facilitator
>     Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary Tours
>     PO Box 597
>     Malanda
>     QLD 4885
>     Australia
>
>     Ph: +61 7 4096 8063
>
>     Email:  <>
>     Website1: http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
>     <http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com/> OR www.birder.travel
>     <http://www.birder.travel/>
>     Website 2: http://www.cassowarytours.com.au
>     <http://www.cassowarytours.com.au/>
>

>     <HR>
>     <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>     <BR>  <>
>     <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>     </HR>
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>