birding-aus

Flight Theory - It's An Unsolved Science Dilemma

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Flight Theory - It's An Unsolved Science Dilemma
From: calyptorhynchus <>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:08:53 +1100
It would be interesting to see if Hummingbirds share these innovations, as they they are closely related to Swifts.

John Leonard

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 09:58, Michael Tarburton <> wrote:
Well said Jason.

Lund University has been running Wind tunnel experiments on many species of birds.  They discovered 20 years ago that Swifts have a totally different mechanism for flying - some of the maths for this is beyond me and even they admit they do not understand the full mechanism.  They told me they had aeronautics people there for about a year looking at what they were doing.  A year and a bit later Boeing came out with  the new Dreamliner, which has very swift-like design, 2 less engines, carries more passengers (more safely) than its predecessor and uses significantly less fuel.

Two of their papers are:
Henningsson, P., G.R. Spedding, & A. Hedenström. 2008.
Vortex wake and flight kinematics of a swift in cruising flight in a wind tunnel.
the Journal of experimental Biology 211, 717-730.

Henningsson, P., Muijres, F.T., & A. Hedenström. 2011.
Time-resolved vortex wake of a common swift flying over a range of flight speeds.
Journal of the Royal Society: Interface 8, 807-816.

These differences in a swifts wing are huge and present real problems for evolutionary theoreticians.

Cheers

Mike Tarburton.