birding-aus

Brush Turkey - and RAOU Membership

To: "'Graeme Stevens'" <>, "'Peter Shute'" <>, <>
Subject: Brush Turkey - and RAOU Membership
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:08:16 +1000

Graeme,

Your memories of early meetings of the RZS and RAOU have sparked some memories of my early meetings.  Mine were a little later than yours, being in the late 1960s.  I am not sure whether it was still the RZS and RAOU or the RAOU and the NSWFOC (NSW Field Ornithologists Club).  John Disney was the chair and the meetings were still rather formal affairs.  They were held at the Australian Museum.  I had met Arnold McGill and Fred Johnston on the mudflats at Quibray Bay at the southern end of Botany Bay.  They invited me to the meeting and I was very impressed to see Keith Hindwood there.  I did report a couple of sightings but I don’t think that the ‘gun’ birders were impressed but it could have been my shyness that made me a little uncomfortable.  I came to know John Disney quite well as we worked together, with Bill Lane, proof-reading the ‘Bird Bander’ (later’Corella’) journal.

Greg Clancy