birding-aus

Cryptic Honeyeater

To: "'Phil Gregory'" <>, "'David Asscherick'" <>
Subject: Cryptic Honeyeater
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 00:09:58 +1100

IOC have the Cryptic Honeyeater as the bird in the Wet Tropics (the Cairns/Atherton area) and Graceful Honeyeater as the one further north on Cape York, in Torres Strait and PNG as Phil stated originally.

Another new bird for Australia in this round of IOC splits is Hudsonian Whimbrel. HANZAB says there are several specimen records for Australia. Those of us that have seen this species in Australia should now make our claims to BARC. I first saw this taxon in Australia in 1967 on Mud Islands in Port Phillip Bay in Victoria – see the Bird Observer 438, May 1968. I believe that I’ve also seen it since including multiple birds together (I think 3 in 2009) in Torres Strait.

These two ‘arm-chair’ ticks bring my Australian tally to 901!

Mike Carter, 03 5977 1262

181/160 Mornington-Tyabb Road

Mornington, VIC 3931, Australia