birding-aus

Spotting Scopes

To: "Drew Davison" <>, "New birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spotting Scopes
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 09:29:36 +1100
If you’re interested in spotting scopes, I’d have a few tips – especially if you’re relatively new and don’t want a scope that’s going to cost you thousands.

First, smaller scopes (say 65mm) that magnify above 60 are only useful when you have strong sunlight from behind you shining on the bird. The image normally degrades to the point where you can hardly make out what you’re looking at. (Again, before Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, etc. owners argue, I’m talking about scopes that cost less than the premium ones.)

Second, if you’re going to be hiking with the scope into the bush you want a small one. The big ones get very heavy.

Third, for sea-watching you will be using the higher magnification. Those Albatrosses can be a long way away.

I guess what I’m saying is that a large and heavy scope (80 or 100mm) is good for sea watching, and you should take your binoculars (which are 8-10x magnification) into the bush.

Bill

Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:07 AM
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Spotting Scopes

Hello all,

I was hoping that someone may be able to provide some advice on the following questions about spotting scopes – I was looking into buying one for the purposes of bush-birding and seawatching:

  1. What magnification on a spotting scope would be good? Is a spotting scope that starts at 10x magnification and can zoom to 30x magnification better than a spotting scope that starts at 20x magnification and zooms to 60x magnification?
  2. Is scope worth the money?
  3. Any other general tips or recommendations for spotting scopes?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks again,

Drew Davison

<HR>