birding-aus

eBird or Birdata

Subject: eBird or Birdata
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 10:25:13 +1000
An issue I have with Birdata is that it only covers Australia -if one birds internationally at all it makes sense only to use eBird of course!

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:17, Jason Polak <m("jpolak.org","jpolak");">> wrote:
Dear Jack,

If there really is a robust mechanism to transfer all 2ha20 surveys from
eBird to Birdata, then why not use eBird? Seems to be the best of both
worlds.

That being said, I think there is also a scientific case for eBird: more
poeple use it, so the statistical value of the data goes up. And
speaking as a mathematician with significant statistical training (but
I'm not an orithologist), I would say that there is still quite a lot of
statistical value in eBird data as one could write down all sorts of
estimators taking into account the human psychology and bias that is
introduced into birdwatching. Also, while methodologies aren't as
strongly suggested on eBird, they also have a very convenient way for
ornithologists to download data, which means your data will be available
to more scientists.

Of course, if the 2ha20 data that is uploaded to eBird is NOT being
transfered to Birdata, then there is a much strong suggestion to use
Birdata. I am actually curious how Birdata does this, considering all
sorts of lists formats on eBird are used. How does Birdata detect the
lists it needs?

Jason

On 05/06/2019 17.41, Jack Worcester wrote:
> I'm interested in opinions regarding the scientific usefulness of
> standardised surveys (2ha/20min) submitted to either eBird or Birdata. I
> understand data entered under a specific format into eBird will be
> incorporated within Birdata at quarterly intervals, but I don't believe
> there is any data flow in the other direction. I use Birdata to conduct
> monthly standardised surveys around our property on Fraser Island,
> however the local QLD Parks and Wildlife Service have suggested eBird
> data is more useful and easier to access compared with Birdata. From a
> purely scientific point of view, where's the best place to upload the data?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jack
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list