birding-aus

eBird or Birdata

To: Chris Brandis <>,
Subject: eBird or Birdata
From: Jack Worcester <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 09:14:31 +1000
Hi Chris,

I asked the question to try to understand the usefulness and accessibility of the data to researchers and government/conservation organisations from both platforms, but you raise an interesting point regarding the quality of the 2ha 20min data itself. My understanding is that although in your experience the 2ha 20min survey type greatly under-reports the number of species within an area, data is nonetheless more suited to statistical analysis and is therefore more scientifically useful when collected in a standardised way. There are many different ways to collect data, and the most important factors for citizen science are that they are accessible to the general public and consistent in their method. I'm guessing the 2ha 20min survey type was deemed more accessible to the public than the grid system and therefore adopted by Birdlife Australia. Incidental and presence/absence type surveys are the least useful as meaningful spacial and temporal comparison to other surveys is difficult.

I'm interested to know if the 10' grid surveys encompassed different habitat to the 2ha 20min surveys you conducted, or were there other factors which contributed to the large difference in the number of species sighted?

To others who have responded to the question, thank you for your input but i was not asking for personal preferences and ease of use. With the release of the Birdata app data entry in both platforms is easy, but i agree that once entered, the eBird data is more accessible to the public and the user, with more functionally. What i was most interested in is the usefulness and accessibility of the data to researchers and government/conservation organisations. Basically, data entered into which platform will provide the most benefit to birds?

Cheers,

Jack