birding-aus

Turkey Talk and Jabiru

To: "'Anthea Fleming'" <>, <>
Subject: Turkey Talk and Jabiru
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 16:11:20 +1100
Well that "Our stork was called policeman bird because it always appears in
pairs"... is a new idea on me and seems to me to be an obscure reason. The
book by Ian Fraser and Jeannie Gray says of the name of Black-necked Stork:
"Australian Mycteria, a real Gouldism, used by him in 1848 from the then
genus name; Policeman-bird, a lovely folk name for its tall, still posture
while hunting, and apparently stern visage...." I think that a better reason
than going in pairs. I see a parallel in that name policeman bird to the
name Adjutant Stork for the military connection for that other and
particularly ugly species of stork.

Philip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-necked_stork

The black-necked stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus) is a tall long-necked
wading bird in the stork family. It is a resident species across the Indian
Subcontinent and Southeast Asia with a disjunct population in Australia. It
lives in wetland habitats and certain crops such as rice and wheat where it
forages for a wide range of animal prey. Adult birds of both sexes have a
heavy bill and are patterned in white and glossy blacks, but the sexes
differ in the colour of the iris. In Australia, it is sometimes called a
jabiru although that name refers to a stork species found in the Americas.
It is one of the few storks that is strongly territorial when feeding.

Taxonomy and systematics

First described by John Latham as Mycteria asiatica, this species was later
placed in the genus Xenorhynchus based on morphology.[3] Based on
behavioural similarities, Kahl[4] suggested the placement of the species in
the genus Ephippiorhynchus, which then included a single species, the

(see e.g. other extracts below found on a quick search for Mycteria). I did
not know the word "Mycteria".

The Australian Mycteria. Mycteria Australis.