birding-aus

Turkey Talk and Jabiru

Subject: Turkey Talk and Jabiru
From: Anthea Fleming <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:31:41 +1100
Our stork was called policeman bird because it always appears in pairs...
Anthea Fleming

On 28/02/2019 9:52 AM, Philip Veerman wrote:
The word Jabiru has been carried forward and is now used in northern
Australia to refer to more than just Australia's only native stork. If we
accept and consider the meaning of the word and take the investigative step
to substitute it for the name, Ross's quote below becomes: "if someone
reports a swollen neck in Kakadu there's not much doubt about what they
actually saw." Which strikes me as odd. I don't know for sure but I suspect
that there will be many people who think Jabiru is an aboriginal word. I
think that is sad, as surely such a distinctive big bird will have genuine
aboriginal names that we could have used. Another old name is
Policeman-bird, which has some sense for its appearance and is perhaps no
more silly than Apostlebird.

Philip