Subspecies and Distribution
· S. f. balstoni Ogilvie-Grant, 1909 – coastal W Western Australia from Shark Bay and its islands S, including Houtman Abrolhos, to Dongara–Jurien Bay region.
· S. f. maculatus Gould, 1847 – Spotted Scrubwren – SW Western Australia (from Dongara S to Bremer Bay–Hopetoun region).
· S. f. mellori Mathews, 1912 – S Western Australia (from Bremer Bay–Hopetoun, and extending N patchily to inner Wheatbelt) E along coast, including Archipelago of the Recherche, to SE South Australia (E to S Yorke Peninsula and coastal Gulf St Vincent).
· S. f. ashbyi Mathews, 1912 – Kangaroo I, off South Australia.
· S. f. laevigaster Gould, 1847 – Buff-breasted Scrubwren – NE Queensland (S from Cairns and Atherton Tablelands) S to NE New South Wales and to W slopes of Great Dividing Range.
· S. f. tweedi Mathews, 1922 – coastal and subcoastal areas from Queensland–New South Wales border S to Hunter R and inland to W slopes of Great Dividing Range.
· S. f. frontalis (Vigors & Horsfield, 1827) – White-browed Scrubwren – coastal and subcoastal area from EC New South Wales (Hunter R and inland to W slopes of Great Dividing Range) S, except in S Victoria, to E coast of South Australia.
· S. f. harterti Mathews, 1912 – coastal S Victoria (around Cape Otway and E to Wilson’s Promontory).
· S. f. rosinae Mathews, 1912 – Mt Lofty Ranges, in South Australia.
· S. f. flindersi S. A. White & Mellor, 1913 – islands in E Bass Strait (Hogan, Kent and Furneaux Groups).